Library is the heart of educational institutions.
Well functioning heart keeps the body healthy and lively. efficient library creates healthy educational atmosphere.
The VIMS & RC Health Sciences Library is Spread Over 4,000 sq mts and can Accommodate 750 Students at a Time. It Provides Access to a Range of Databases on the Campus Network, E-Resources, and OPAC-Related Access to its Vast Collection. It has a Separate Audio-Visual Room, Computer Lab, Group Study Area and Private Study Area.
The VIMS & RC Central Library was Established in 2000 when the College Started Functioning. Year After Year it has Made Steady Progress and has Grown into a Collection of Medical Books, Journals Back Issues and Bound Volumes with Subscription of Indian and International Journals Yearly on Various Medical Subjects. Both the Central Library and the Department Libraries Have in Addition a Digital Library with Internet Facilities. Central Library is Fully Air Conditioned and Under CCTV Surveillance. The Library is Opening from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm on all Workings Days.
- To Acquire, Manage, and Disseminate Health Sciences Information to Students, Faculty and Research Scholars of the Constituent Health Sciences Institutions at Vydehi Campus.
- To Provide Timely, Accurate and Current Information to Users for Education, Teaching and Research.
- To Provide Information Services and Access to Bibliographic and Full Text Digital and Printed Resources to Support the Scholarly and Informational Needs of the Health Sciences Institutions of Vydehi Campus.
- To Support and Facilitate the Research, Learning, Teaching and Administrative Activities of the Collage by Organizing, Maintaining and Providing Access to Appropriate Literature and Information Resources in Such a Way as to Provide Optimum Benefit for Library Users.
- To Provide an Appropriate and Comfortable Environment and Facilities for the Use of Library Services and for Individual and Group Study.
VIMS & RC CENTRAL LIBRARY CONSISTS OF THE FOLLOWING SECTIONS
- G. Reading Section
- G. Reading Section
- Staff Reading Section.
- Rooms for Librarian and Other Staff.
- Dissertation/Thesis Section
- Audio-Video and L C D. Projector Room.
- Current Journals Section.
- Back Volume of Journals Section.
- Reprography and Binding Room. (Xerox)
- Air Conditioned Computer Room with Internet Facility.
- News Paper & Magazine Section
- Own Book Reference Section.
CENTRAL LIBRARY WORKS WITH:
- Library Automation Software : Libsoft [ Envirorn Software]
- System of Cataloguing : AACR-II
- System of Classification : DDC
- Books – 24087
- Titals – 9050
- Text Books – 14653
- Reference Books – 9434
- Department Library – 5209
- W.H.O. Publications – 3000
- R.G.U.H.S Publications -300
- Indian Journals – 137
- International Journals – 60
- E-Journals – 675
- E-Books – 9000
- Bound Volumes – 2100
- Dissertations – 1204
- News Papers-16
- C D’s & DVD’s – 1355
- Audio Cassettes – 169
- Video Cassettes – 34
- Literature books – 813
CENTRAL LIBRARY REFERENCE SECTION
Monday to Saturday : 9.00 A.M. to 11.00 P.M.
Sunday : 9.00 A.M. to 05.00 P.M.
OWN BOOK REFERENCE SECTION
Monday to Sunday : 9.00 A.M. to 11.00 P.M.
The Journals are issued to Interns, Postgraduate Students, Research Scholars and Faculty Members. Audio-visual materials and CD-ROMs are for in-house use only.
References Services is a personal aid provided to the user by the library staff in interpreting library collection for study and research. The Library staffs assist users to locate needed information from the available information resources. On the basis of collection library provides services to its users.
PHOTOCOPYING & PRINTING
Through this services library provides photocopies of articles from journals and books to the users as and when requested further users can also send and receive messages from library.
CURRENT AWARENESS SERVICES
Library has used four main ways to help health sciences professionals keep abreast of latest information.
- Telephone call
- Displays of new books and journals
- productions of library publications, i.e. new acquisition list
- OPAC access related to library resources anywhere in the campus
- Book exhibitions by major publishers.
- Orientation Programme on HELINET.
HELINET CONSORTIUM SERVICES FROM RGUHS
HELINET Consortium is a conglomeration of owning, sharing and accessing essential medical literature of core scholarly international e-journals, e-books and databases by all the colleges under this digital library network round-the-clock.
VIMS & RC is the member of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science (RGUHS) HELINET Consortium. The consortium consists of the fallowing,
HELINET RESOURCE GATEWAYS
E-Databases: UpToDate, Clinical Key , Proquest, EBSCO, PubMed & DOAJ.
E-JOURNALS PUBLISHERS (Total Journals – 600+) Through: LWW, Clinical Key, BMJ, OUP, Bentham Science, Nature, Springer, Wiley Blackwell & Annual Reviews.
E-BOOKS – (8000+) Through: Clinical Key, Springer & Jaypee Digital.
Through this service library provides audio and video cassettes CD’s slides of teaching programs, in the A.V. Room.
INTER LIBRARY LOAN SERVICES
The library helps to obtain books from other medical colleges in Bangalore.
The computer lab of the library offers the following computer services to users
- Internet browsing and online journals access.
- facilities for preparing presentation materials such as slides, transparencies and color scanning
- Assisting the students and faculty members for editing projects/thesis, data analysis, setting the file to the required quality of print and printing.
- Color scanning CD writing, with laser printing and DOT matrix printing.
- PubMed: is a free search engine accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics. The United States National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health maintains the database as part of the Entrez system of information retrieval.
Mr. Srinivasa H V,
Chief Librarian and In-charge,
VIMS & RC Central Library,
Bengaluru – 560066, INDIA
Telephone +91080 28413381-85
Ext-2001, 2002, 2003.
Mob: +91 9620265606